Thursday, November 17, 2016

Lock Em All Up


"Give me your tired, your poor,
your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
the wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" 

Beautiful words aren't they? These words were not only etched onto the base of the Statue of Liberty, but etched into the hearts of many of our ancestors seeking a better life for themselves and their children. Now those dreams are being shattered by a president-elect and his incoming administration who do not believe in these ideals. All this talk about building walls, restricting immigration, national registries, tightening our borders with force, massive roundups and deportations, curbing religious freedom and now there is even talk of internment camps.

It makes me sick to my stomach to think these words will no longer have any meaning. These words that meant so much to so many of our families who pulled up roots and made the difficult journey here seeking what this beautiful country has to offer. Lady Liberty is surely crying for us all. Till next time - R